Is it time to start regression testing yet?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 8 13:36:21 PDT 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 15:36, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> http://portmill.florianebeling.com/ is doing a default build for
> all ports if I'm not mistaken.

I'm just getting back to this thread.

Thank you for your work on this, Florian!

Some friendly criticism:

I imagine you've been working on this for awhile, and since this is
an open source project, it would have been nice to know you were
working on this, and to have the code in the MacPorts repository (the
users area would have been a good place for it during development).

You said you wrote this with Rails and CouchDB. While I understand
the desire to write using technologies you're familiar with, MacPorts
is written in Tcl, and the main MacPorts web site is written in PHP
and MySQL, and it would be nice to not introduce new technologies if
possible, so as to lower the barrier to entry for other developers.
It's easy for me to say, since I am very familiar with PHP and MySQL,
and do not know and had not planned to know Rails and CouchDB. In
fact I would rather not have yet another hostname and yet another
disjoint part of the MacPorts web experience, but rather integrate
this content into the existing www.macports.org web site, or into the
new port pages planned with #19300:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19300

I notice it flagged the mldonkey build as failed, but in fact it was
one of mldonkey's dependencies which failed. Perhaps there is a way
that could be made more clear in the interface.

Juan (jmpp) had always said that a prerequisite for a build/test
system was implementing the port logging proposal:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/LoggingProposal

And this is the project Dmitry (enl) has been approved to work on for
this year's Google Summer of Code:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/enl

http://trac.macports.org/browser/branches/gsoc09-logging

Have you coordinated with him? We don't want duplication of effort.
Your work is clearly logging something because the logs are appearing
on your web site. If this is not integrated with the MacPorts Tcl
code, perhaps you can assist Dmitry in doing so. If you and Dmitry
finish the logging task early I'm sure there are other tasks we can
have him do for the rest of the summer.