Is it time to start regression testing yet?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 01:49:42 PDT 2009

--On 8 June 2009 20:29:19 -0400 Jeremy Lavergne
<jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

> There's a difference between a crash and a failed compilation in that the
> system can't just catch it.  Apple also pays people to look at those
> crash reports.

Paid or not, if you can't see a problem then you can't fix it. Sure the
system can't catch a complilation error, but surely the complier returns an
error code if it fails? Certainly MacPorts can determine whether it's
worked or not. If it were able to report to a port maintainer that a build
failed then the maintainer has a chance of fixing it. With more information
(eg, stage of the build, that a particular dependency failed, OS version,
compiler version, h/w type, the variant in use), it becomes much easier for
the maintainer to determine what's wrong. With reports of successful
builds, they can even eliminate possible problems.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex