py25-mayavi port submission and sandbox violation

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Tue Jun 9 07:32:54 PDT 2009

I have submitted a set of ports for py25-mayavi and its Enthought
dependencies to the macports tracker:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19567

I noticed recently that during the installation of py25-mayavi, a
".enthought" folder is created in my home directory with root ownership
if that folder does not previously exist.  This is a clear sandbox
violation.  When I install with trace mode, I get some other warnings
about sandbox issues and the build fails:

$ sudo port -t install py25-mayavi
--->  Fetching py25-mayavi
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for py25-mayavi
--->  Extracting py25-mayavi
--->  Configuring py25-mayavi
--->  Building py25-mayavi
trace: access denied to
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/os.py
(*unknown*)
trace: access denied to
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/os.pyc
(*unknown*)
... many more of these lines ...
trace: access denied to
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py
(*unknown*)
trace: access denied to
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py
(*unknown*)
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox:
/var/root/.CFUserTextEncoding
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox:
/var/root/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox:
/var/root/Library/Preferences/ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.001b63950c72.plist
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_Shared_install_macports_ports_python_py25-mayavi/work/Mayavi-3.2.0"
&& /opt/local/bin/python2.5 setup.py --no-user-cfg build " returned error 1
Command output: Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "setup.py", line 77, in <module>
     from setuptools.command import develop, install_scripts
   File
"/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools/command/develop.py",
line 1, in <module>
     from setuptools.command.easy_install import easy_install
   File
"/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools/command/easy_install.py",
line 21, in <module>
     from setuptools.package_index import PackageIndex, parse_bdist_wininst
   File
"/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools/package_index.py",
line 2, in <module>
     import sys, os.path, re, urlparse, urllib2, shutil, random, socket,
cStringIO
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/urllib2.py",
line 91, in <module>
     import hashlib
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py",
line 133, in <module>
     md5 = __get_builtin_constructor('md5')
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py",
line 60, in __get_builtin_constructor
     import _md5
ImportError: No module named _md5

Interestingly, I also see sandbox warnings if I install py25-scipy with
trace mode, but that port still builds and installs OK.  Now, I am very
new to python, and I know nothing about the python portgroup used for
python ports.  I just managed to put these portfiles together by looking
at other python ports as examples.

Can someone help me resolve this issue?  If this is a problem that needs
to be reported upstream to the Enthought developers, I can do that, but
I need to know what to report.

Thanks,
Jonathan