[52043] trunk/dports/tex/texlive_base

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Jun 11 06:37:26 PDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 1:50 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I find it simpler to set things up like the above example instead
>> (this avoids an extra variant and avoids having to indicate
>> conflicting variants).
>
> To me, it's the difference between whether the option, if it were
> presented to the user in a GUI, were presented as a checkbox or as a
> set of radio buttons.

Since they produce the same output, and MacPorts doesn't present
checkboxes or radio buttons to the user, I don't think that that's
really a valid distinction.

The difference is that one method results in 2 variants that conflict
plus the 'magic' of default variants. Once you mix in the registry not
storing negative variants, I think you end up with ugly user
interaction if the user wants the non default one (especially when he/
she goes to upgrade it - unless that has been fixed?)

Having required features in a default variant also breaks the
conceptual model of the no variant version of the port being the
normal/recommended/featureful version with variants being special cases.

--
Daniel J. Luke