[52182] trunk/dports/graphics/libart_lgpl

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Fri Jun 12 12:30:45 PDT 2009

I was the one with "bright idea" to make the "insane" changes you
found objectionable.
Please allow me to explain my reasoning.

1) Getting a universal binary wrong (e.g. wrong sizeof(long)) can
cause a very hard to track down bug.

2) Finding all the places where "#ifdef {__LP64__, i386, ppc}" are
needed is time consuming, tedious, and error prone.
      It is not even a one time expense since the same process must be
done with each version.
      It seems to me that it is much better to automate the process.

3) It is not enough to compare destroot directories for proper header
patches.
      mpfr is an example where the header files are the same on all
architectures, but the the different architectures must still be built
separately
            for everything to work correctly (see the Portfile comment).

I have no reason to think that 1 and 3 will happen with libart_lgpl,
but making sure for each version, again, seems tedious.

I understand that the configure process was ugly for libart_lgpl (and
a few other port).
Things would be greatly simplified if cross-compiling universal
support were dropped (keeping only 32/64-bit universal).
I have advocated for this before but found my opinion to be in the
minority.

Thanks,
Marcus