New committer: giorgio_v

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Tue Jun 16 14:35:11 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:48:41AM -0700, Blair Zajac said:
>> [...]
>>

>>> Also, we should put Ryan's comments on the wiki.  The most common ones
>>> that are in response to a commit are:
>>>
>>> 1) Do not commit whitespace and non-whitespace changes in the same
>>> commit,
>>> use separate commits.  Ideally, use separate commits for separate logical
>>> changes to a port file.
>>>

>> This has been added to
>>
>> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/NewCommittersGuide>
>>
>>  Great, thanks!
>
>  2) Do not use tabs!
>>>

>> Last time I checked, the only whitespace-related requirement was for
>> people
>> to be consistent within the Portfile.  Sure many of us have been
>> de-tabbing
>> when modifying our/nomaintainer ports, but I haven't heard any no-tab
>> policy
>> for Portfiles expressed.
>>

> I know, I was just trying to sneak in a new rule :)

It's not exactly a rule, but it's recommended in the best practices listed
at:
http://guide.macports.org/#development.practices

I use the mode line recommended there and it works well in mac-vim,
providing tcl syntax highlighting that can't be determined from the Portfile
alone (unless you setup a custom filetype).

Take care,
Darren