[52497] trunk/dports/gnome/liboobs/Portfile

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Jun 18 13:12:17 PDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:28 PM, nox wrote:
>> We recently ran into this with serf and its dependence upon apr and
>> apr-util, which pulls in SQLite, PostgreSQL and BerkeleyDB
>> dependencies depending upon the variants it was built with.  Having
>> to have serf have the same variants as apr and apr-util just to get
>> those port dependencies isn't something I wanted to manage, so I
>> just kept the dependencies on apr and apr-util.
>
> I don't see what is wrong in declaring only apr and apr-util, as I
> doubt serf calls SQLite, PostgreSQL or BerkeleyDB functions
> directly. See my previous mail.

In the serf instance, serf ended up linked to bdb - and without a
dependency listed in the portfile MacPorts will let you remove bdb
without letting you know that it breaks serf.

So you would do:

port install serf (installs apr-util and bdb)
port -f upgrade apr-util +no_bdb (because you don't want bdb)
port uninstall bdb

Macports won't warn you and you'll have a broken serf [note that this
particular problem has been fixed].

Perhaps base/ needs to be enhanced so that it keeps track of the
libraries that a port links to (and what ports they are associated
with)?
--
Daniel J. Luke