symlinks deleted by destroot

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Jun 21 13:53:03 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:21:26PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston said:
> Has something in base recently decided to delete symlinks?
>
> The Makefile is clearly doing:
> ln -s /opt/local/lib/xulrunner/sdk/lib /path/to/my/destroot/opt/local/
> lib/xulrunner/lib
>
> I even put a sleep after it in the Makefile to verify that the symlinks
> were getting built (they were).  Then after my sleep exited, something
> deleted them. There not much after these symlinks are created in the log,
> and there is nothing special for destroot in the Portfile (just a
> one-liner post-destroot).  Here's the tail of the log starting with my
> sleep (at which point the symlinks were present):
>
> /bin/sleep 60
> .../work/mozilla-1.9.1/config/nsinstall -D .../work/destroot/opt/local/
> etc/gre.d
> .../work/mozilla-1.9.1/config/nsinstall -t -m 644 1.9.1b4.system.conf
> .../work/destroot/opt/local/etc/gre.d
> pkg_config_file: libxul.pc libxul-embedding.pc libxul-unstable.pc
> libxul-embedding-unstable.pc mozilla-js.pc mozilla-plugin.pc mozilla-
> gtkmozembed.pc mozilla-gtkmozembed-embedding.pc
> .../work/mozilla-1.9.1/config/nsinstall -t -m 644 libxul.pc libxul-
> embedding.pc libxul-unstable.pc libxul-embedding-unstable.pc mozilla-
> js.pc mozilla-plugin.pc mozilla-gtkmozembed.pc mozilla-gtkmozembed-
> embedding.pc .../work/destroot/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `.../work/mozilla-1.9.1/xulrunner/installer'
> DEBUG: Executing proc-post-org.macports.destroot-destroot-0
> DEBUG: Executing portdestroot::destroot_finish
> DEBUG: checking for mtree violations
>
> In another terminal, I was waiting for the symlink to be deleted:
> while [[ -h lib ]]; do true; done ; echo "symlink deleted" >> ~/src/
> macports-trunk/dports/devel/xulrunner-devel/destroot.log
>
> and the "symlink deleted" got appended to the log just after "DEBUG:
> Executing portdestroot::destroot_finish"
>
> Thoughts?

On a just-built port, I can't reproduce this locally, using the python26
port; it creates some symlinks in post-destroot as well as some through the
'make install' step.  All appear to be present after running destroot on it.
Are you seeing this with a port in the repo (xulrunner, xulrunner-devel?)
or a not-yet-committed update?

Bryan