[52946] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Jun 29 08:31:10 PDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2009, at 13:11, David Bannister wrote:
>
>> So yes, there is no connectivity to Telia, Comcast and a handful of
>> German ISPs.  This is due to some disagreements with AS1880 and
>> those ISPs.  AS1880, the transit provider for this node does not
>> run a public network.  It is a private network for personal use
>> with over 100Gbps of transit connectivity.  Why are you trying to
>> get ports from a Swedish mirror if you are on Comcast (Norcal)?  If
>> you are looking to avoid global connectivity issues may I suggest
>> you include GeoIP and BGP information during the selection of
>> server to make sure things 'work.'  Other people do this have have
>> no issue.  The technology exists and I will be more than happy to
>> tell you how this stuff works.
>
> MacPorts used to not have any central mirrors, and would select a
> download location based on the order listed in the Portfile.
>
> Then we added the mirror at Apple, and changed MacPorts to ping each
> mirror and select mirrors in order of lowest to highest ping time.
> This has seemed to work well so far.
>
> Then the trd.no and arn.se mirrors were added, which should just
> serve to sweeten the deal. If arn.se happens to be the lowest ping,
> it will be used first. If, as Toby states, the server does not
> respond to ping from his network, then it should not impact the
> download mechanism whatsoever. If it does, then that is a bug in
> MacPorts base that we would want to address.

I believe the problem is MacPorts will wait for a while (10 seconds?)
before giving up on a mirror which just drops packets instead of
refusing the connection outright. It does not break MP, but it is
pretty annoying. David should have explained the limitations on the
mirror at the beginning, but at least we know now so a workaround can
be put into the mirror selection.

-Bill