Portmill status

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Jun 29 11:08:00 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2009, at 10:52 AM, William Siegrist wrote:

>>> I think this ultimately needs to be left to the discretion of
>>> whomever's doing the work.  I mean, it's all well and good to say
>>> "this should really use MYSQL instead!" but unless the person
>>> saying this is also turning up to the discussion with a pile of
>>> patches which Make It So, it can only come across as carping from
>>> the back seat.
>>

>> I'm not saying they should all use MySQL, I'm saying they should
>> all use the same backend. My primary reason is I believe it is
>> better engineering. But secondarily, I'm the one who has to manage
>> yet-another-database-server if we add CouchDB to the mix. So I'm
>> not just sitting in the backseat.
>
> I think you missed my fundamental point.   What we need to be
> focusing on is just who is going to take over the work now that the
> original author is going offline for an extended period and who, if
> anyone, will be actually making the changes to align on a common
> back-end.  If no one picks the ball up and actually carries it, the
> broader issues of support for it are rather academic at best.

Fair enough, but my original point was just to clarify Florian's
original comment about some people wanting to port it to mysql before
putting it up on macports.org. The actual suggestion I discussed with
Florian in a private thread (and what Ryan said on list), is that we
should try to unify all of the web services, not a "we must use mysql"
demand.

-Bill