Files disappearing from distfiles mirror

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 1 02:21:42 PST 2009

What would cause a file to disappear from our distfiles mirrors? I
thought they were supposed to be a more or less permanent archive of
all distfiles over time. I know we have a policy of not mirroring
some ports, but that's not this.

According to Google, the Norwegian mirror had the file
osx2x-2.4.tar.gz with a modification date of October 31, 2008:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adistfiles.macports.org
+osx2x-2.4.tar.gz

In case Google has updated its listing, this is what the above URL
shows as I write this email:

Index of /osx2x
Parent Directory, -. osx2x-2.4.tar.gz, 31-Oct-2008 08:03, 200K.
Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) Server at trd.no.distfiles.macports.org Port 80.
trd.no.distfiles.macports.org/osx2x/?C=D;O=A

If I look at that URL today, there is nothing there. There was also
nothing on distfiles.macports.org yesterday. The file is back on the
California mirror now, and will be on the Norwegian mirror again
soon, because I committed r47558:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/47558

But I would like to know how it came to be that the file was on all
of our mirrors in October 2008 but then disappeared from two of them
since then.