trunk and 10.3 support

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Mar 2 00:47:20 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:15:38AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt said:
[...]
> I have not tested whether this information is still accurate. But even if
> it is, I don't think this is any reason to kill all hopes of running
> MacPorts 1.8.0 on Panther, especially since it would be no different than
> any previous version of MacPorts in regard to symlink ownership.

I definitely know lchown() is not on 10.3.9, since I stumbled onto this
while trying to build trunk there.  But the question is should we simply
disable the chown portion in port (maybe noop'ing proc chown in
portutil.tcl) for 10.3 or try and wrap all the privsep in a "not on 10.3"
conditional block(s)?  Disabling the chown means that other bits of the
privsep stuff will probably have issues as well, so maybe there's a way
to use the old method but ignore errors on symlinks?

Bryan

[...]