perl5.8 fixup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 7 01:11:40 PST 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 20:22, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> How about creating a Portfile for ALL the perl5.8 modules,

Did you mean a single portfile containing all perl5.8 modules, or
individual portfiles for each perl5.8 module? I would be in favor of
the latter.

> make them all depends of perl5.8,

Did you mean that the perl5.8 port would declare dependencies on each
of these perl5.8 module ports, e.g. "depends_lib-append p5-some-
module"? If so, I don't think that can work, since the modules
require perl5.8 to build.

> unregistering them from perl5.8 and registering the module on there
> own.
> Then those p5 modules that existed before can replace the ones
> created from the perl5.8 base modules with a higher revision number.
>
> Then a port upgrade installed should work to upgrade all the p5
> modules with newer versions that have been added.

If we make perl5.8 install no modules of its own and move all modules
to their own ports, then each port that uses any of the standard
formerly-built-in modules will have to now declare dependencies on
the formerly-built-in modules' new ports.