The Guide - again

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat Mar 7 15:02:33 PST 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 02:42:38AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt said:

> On Mar 7, 2009, at 02:32, Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> I know it has been discussed before but let me bring up the Guide
>> again.
>> There are few things which bug be:
>>
>> 1) One Guide for users and maintainer
>> 2) Maintainer guide not all that complete.
>> 3) The Guide not being updated all that often.

Examples of not too often?  The revision log shows it's not exactly
untouched:

<http://trac.macports.org/log/trunk/doc-new/guide/xml>

[...]
> I do not believe that we need to separate these into different documents
> because there is overlap between these different peoples' needs. We could
> do a better job of indicating which sections are for which audience, or
> rearranging sections in the guide to group things by audience.
>
> I do not believe we need to move all or part of the guide to the wiki.
> Quite the opposite: documentation that's getting created in the wiki
> should get moved to the guide.

Starting new items on the wiki makes sense, but if it really should be in
the guide, then once it's been fleshed out it should be moved over to the
guide.  This way the ease of the wiki can be used until it's (hopefully)
good enough then can be put in the guide, since that's what we usually point
to for documentation.

Bryan

[...]