Conventions when it comes to cron-like launchd items

Adam Byrtek adambyrtek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 09:30:45 PDT 2009

I'm building a port file for Munin, an easy to use system monitoring
tool. I'm almost done, everything works fine but before I submit a
ticket I would like to make some final touches. I have two questions
when it comes to this.

1. What is the policy when it comes to cron-like launchd items? The
Guide covers only init.d-like launchd items. I've just created a
launchd.plist with StartInterval and I symlink it to
/Library/LaunchDaemons during post-activate. Should I invoke
"launchdctl load" in the Portfile or should I inform the user that he
should do this (like with standard launchd items)? I would prefer to
do everything automatically if possible in order not to confuse users.

2. Munin consists of two components: munin-node that listens on a port
and provides statistics and munin-server that polls every node every 5
minutes. Both are distributed in a single source distribution. I'm
considering either creating two separate Portfiles (munin-server and
munin-node) or using variants but in this case I'm not sure what
variants to introduce. Any suggestions when it comes to this?

Best regards,
Adam

--
Adam Byrtek