Duplicate Perl 5.8 libraries

Adam Byrtek adambyrtek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:16:35 PDT 2009

When playing with dependencies for a new port that requires certain
CPAN libraries I found out that there are multiple p5 ports containing
libraries already included in perl5.8. I had this problem with the
following ports:
p5-time-hires
p5-text-balanced
p5-digest-md5

A sample error message looks like this:
Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
/opt/local/share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz is being used by the
active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f
flag to force the activation.

Does this duplications serve some purpose? If not, maybe those
superfluous ports should be removed? This probably applies to more
ports than just these mentioned above.

Regards,
Adam

--