The Guide - again

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 8 11:00:35 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Especially if the concern is the guide being outdated, I see the
>> problem
>> in the guide format. We had the recent discussion to move the guide to
>> another markup language but it was teared down. What else can we do to
>> attract more people for writing documentation?
>
> We don't want more people writing the Guide. It should stay as a
> coherent document authored by one or a few individuals who have a
> handle on the whole thing.

I want more people writing the guide :-)
At least I count some TODOs in the guide which are probably there for as
long as I use MacPorts.

Missing/Incomplete:
 * Some Tcl extensions
 * Global variant descriptions
 * /usr/local and its breakage
 * More about port groups
 * portindex
 * *-devel ports
 * It needs to be synchronized/merged with InstallingMacPorts [1] and
   UsingMacPortsQuickStart [2].

For most of these items have corresponding Trac tickets [3], some of
them older than a year.

>From this list it is clear for me that the current team of guide editors
is not able to catch up. Don't understand me wrong, I appreciate the
time investment and contributions from anyone, I just think we need to
make it possible for more people to contribute to the guide.

The open source contributors count on Mac OS X is very low in my
opinion, so in order to attract more contributors we need to lower barriers.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
[2] http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingMacPortsQuickStart
[3]