Conventions when it comes to cron-like launchd items

Adam Byrtek adambyrtek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:15:24 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 18:32, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
> Please do not symlink it in post-activate, but make a copy/symlink in
> destroot already. Otherwise this symlink is not registered with the port
> and will not be removed on uninstall.

Thanks, sounds like a better idea.

> In my opinion new installed services/daemons should not be started
> automatically. Most services need configuration and users should
> configure them first.

Just to be sure, we are not speaking about service/daemon here, rather
a cron-like recurring task. Is there any policy/convention/precedent
when it comes to registering such recurring tasks by ports?

>> 2. Munin consists of two components: munin-node that listens on a port
>> and provides statistics and munin-server that polls every node every 5
>> minutes. Both are distributed in a single source distribution. I'm
>> considering either creating two separate Portfiles (munin-server and
>> munin-node) or using variants but in this case I'm not sure what
>> variants to introduce. Any suggestions when it comes to this?
>
> As they are distributed in separate sources, it is much easier to create
> two ports. In this case, the long_description should recommend each other.

Looks like I wasn't clear enough, by "both are distributed in a single
source distribution" I meant there is only one source archive for both
:)

Best regards,
Adam

--