Conventions when it comes to cron-like launchd items

Adam Byrtek adambyrtek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:51:15 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 19:38, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
> I would prefer not to have anything running on my machine which I did
> not start epxlicitly - whether it's a daemon or a cron-like task.

OK, I will implement some informational ui_msg then.

> As far as I know it is common to start munin-server on one machine and
> others report to this using munin-node over the network. So there is
> definitely the need to be able to install munin-node only.

Exactly, I would say that a node is installed much more often than the
server itself.

> So the port munin could be the node only, and munin +server additionally
> installs the server. This would be reasonable as the node gets installed
> more often than the server.

This was my initial idea, based on the mysql5 port. On the other hand
the fact that the server was not there had been very confusing when I
installed MySQL from MacPorts for the first time :)

Anyway I think I will go in this direction, as the "server" variant is
already known - I don't like variants that are used in only one
package. By the way is there some description of popular global
variants with explanation of their meaning? This would be very useful
both for users and developers and would help maintain consistency. I
have a feeling that there are too many mysterious variants out
there...

Regards,
Adam

--