Duplicate Perl 5.8 libraries

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Sun Mar 8 22:19:35 PDT 2009

Vincent Lefevre <vincent-opdarw at ...> writes:

> On 2009-03-08 18:22:46 +0100, Rainer Müller wrote:
> > Adam Byrtek wrote:
> > > When playing with dependencies for a new port that requires certain
> > > CPAN libraries I found out that there are multiple p5 ports containing
> > > libraries already included in perl5.8. I had this problem with the
> > > following ports:
> > > p5-time-hires
> > > p5-text-balanced
> > > p5-digest-md5
> >
> > Please see the recent thread "perl5.8 fixup" where exactly this problem
> > is currently discussed.
>
> There's no explanation of why these dependencies are needed. So,
> until any problem is found (which would be an upstream bug), these
> dependencies should be removed.

There are several reasons why they might have been added:
   1) The perl5.8 module became outdated and a newer one was needed.
        perl5.8 was recently updated, so this is probably no longer the case in most instances.
   2) perl5.8 did not always provide the module.
   3) The maintainer knew the module was needed and did not check if the perl5.8
        version was recent enough to work.

Whatever the historical reason, I agree that if the perl5.8 module suffices,
the p5 version should not be a dependency.

-Marcus