Conventions when it comes to cron-like launchd items

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 9 09:37:52 PDT 2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 13:58, Joshua Root wrote:

> Adam Byrtek wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 19:38, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org>
>> wrote:
>>> So the port munin could be the node only, and munin +server
>>> additionally
>>> installs the server. This would be reasonable as the node gets
>>> installed
>>> more often than the server.
>>
>> This was my initial idea, based on the mysql5 port. On the other hand
>> the fact that the server was not there had been very confusing when I
>> installed MySQL from MacPorts for the first time :)
>
> MySQL 5 is an interesting case because the server variant only
> creates a
> startupitem. Normally something this inexpensive should not warrant a
> variant (and causes confusion as you note), but it does cause
> installing
> the port to require root.

The +server variant will be removed from the mysql5 port and the
mysql5 port will be split in two: mysql5 (installing all binaries
needed to be a mysql client or server) and mysql5-server (installing
just the startup item and creating the directories for storing your
databases).

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12313

postgresql ports already do this.