The Guide - again

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Mar 9 13:36:45 PDT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> But I'm not sure what alternative to this method I can offer.

At least not currently...

But how about a future where things are somewhat different:

- Portfiles are stored remotely
- Portfiles can be submitted by anyone and submitting a portfile
automatically causes a build farm to attempt to build a package
(failures are noted automatically and portfiles are marked as having
built successfully or not)
- Portfiles are optionally tagged by trusted users (committers?) after
review
- Portfiles are optionally tagged by end-users if they work (or if
they don't work).

The end-user can then decide to have a port tree available that's
similar to the current one (only look at portfiles that are tagged by
the trusted users/committers), or have mild assurance of "OK" (works
on the build farm), or anything that someone in the community says is
OK, or anything that anyone has submitted.

Of course, if we could eventually get Portfiles down to a state where
they couldn't do anything to your system (limited tcl interpreter?
somehow forcing them to be only declarative?), that would probably be
helpful too ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke