perl5.8 fixup

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Mon Mar 9 15:55:52 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 02:03:57PM -0700, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> I have played around with my perl5.8 port and I have what appears to
> me to be a solution to the path collision/registry issue.
>
> I modified my perl5.8 Portfile like so:
>
> configure.args-append -D man1dir='/opt/local/share/man/man1' -D
> man1direxp='/opt/local/share/man/man1' -D man3dir='/opt/local/share/
> man/man3' -D man3direxp='/opt/local/share/man/man3' -D
> installman1dir='/opt/local/share/man/man1perl58' -D installman3dir='/
> opt/local/share/man/man3perl58' -D installsiteman1dir='/opt/local/
> share/man/man1perl58' -D installsiteman3dir='/opt/local/share/man/
> man3perl58' -D installvendorman1dir='/opt/local/share/man/man1perl58' -
> D installvendorman3dir='/opt/local/share/man/man3perl58' -D
> siteman1dir='/opt/local/share/man/man1perl58' -D siteman1direxp='/opt/
> local/share/man/man1perl58' -D siteman3dir='/opt/local/share/man/
> man3perl58' -D siteman3direxp='/opt/local/share/man/man3perl58' -D
> vendorman1dir='/opt/local/share/man/man1perl58' -D vendorman1direxp='/
> opt/local/share/man/man1perl58' -D vendorman3dir='/opt/local/share/man/
> man3perl58' -D vendorman3direxp='/opt/local/share/man/man3perl58'
>
> configure.args-append -D man1ext='1p58' -D man3ext='31p58'

	Cool.  I've been futzing with it too, with a simpler setup
(haven't finished testing, but it looks like only the man1dir,
siteman1dir, vendorman1dir are required - and their 3 complements
of course).

> There may be more changes here then are necessary but I can confirm
> that just modifying the man ext values did not do it as the p5 modules
> also used this value.
>
> I bumped the revision number of my perl5.8 port and did an upgrade and
> I received no errors and with the minimal testing I've done I can now
> install p5-cgi as an example without using -f.
>
> I am no way qualified to even test if this approach produces more
> issues but so far I see non.
>
> Basically I added man1perl58 and man3perl58 man dirs after reading up
> on man and seeing that other distros seem to add dirs to man. It
> appears that man is able to find my man pages and the extension change
> was just for safety and it might we might be able to do away with that
> addition to configure.args.
>
> I added the configure.args as two appends so I could comment them out
> easily to for testing.
>
> I hope someone with more perl5 knowledge then me can offer some
> comments as to whether this approach will work without producing other
> problems.
>
> From what I can tell, this is something that can be done as a
> revision upgrade to perl5.8 without changing anything else so port
> upgrade perl5.8 solves the whole problem as relates to collisions.

	It won't solve everything, just the man page collisions.

	I've also inverted @INC in the what I'm testing, so far that's
good as well (though again, I'm still testing things).

	Once I've gotten enough testing done to feel like its solid,
I'll send out another note with the changes so others can test as
well.

		-eric