perl5.8 fixup

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Mar 9 19:08:56 PDT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 6:01 PM, Eric Hall wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:27:39AM +0000, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
>> Eric Hall <opendarwin.org at ...> writes:

>>> 	Cool.  I've been futzing with it too, with a simpler setup
>>> (haven't finished testing, but it looks like only the man1dir,
>>> siteman1dir, vendorman1dir are required - and their 3 complements
>>> of course).
>>>

>> There is the issue that the user must modify his or her manpath.
>> An alternate solution is to rename the manpages.
>>
>> The ticket originally opened to deal with this problem is
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12950
>> .
>> In it, I posted patches which will reorder @INC.
>> I also posted a patch for p5-test-simple to go along with it.
>> The module is installed with perl, but p5-test-simple is a newer
>> version.
>> It avoids manpage conflicts by renaming the manpages.
>>

> 	Given that MP installs (most) modules into vendor_perl,
> I think the order should be:
>
> 	site, vendor, then perl base/core.
>
> 	I like the line(s) you have for showing the directory ordering
> in the patch, I'll incorporate those.
>
> 	I have a diff that does this, still testing.  I may
> have a fix/hack for the man page problem as well, more details
> if it pans out.
>

> 	Why did you have p5-test-simple install into site_perl
> instead of vendor_perl (given that the general default for
> macports p5-* is to install into vendor_perl)?

Simple, lack of understanding :) Perl is not a language I use for
development. I just use perl applications and know next to nothing
about how perl builds or what env vars do what.

I've stated repeatedly that I do not feel qualified to choose a
solution because I wouldn't know if I introduced other issues I
wouldn't be aware of. But I badly want a solution so other ports I am
working on that use perl applications that rely on perl modules can
install without my users having to -f 30 or so p5 modules :)

I'm just trying to keep this alive and do legwork with my clean
macports and my server platform macports to keep this alive till
smarter people can settle on a great solution.

Thank you very much for participating in this process that matters a
lot to me :)

//Brad