perl5.8 fixup

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Tue Mar 10 13:02:50 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:02:06PM -0700, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
>
> >Eric Hall <opendarwin.org at ...> writes:

[snip stuff about configuring perl to land man pages in certain places, etc.]

> >There is the issue that the user must modify his or her manpath.
> >An alternate solution is to rename the manpages.
>
> Not according to my tests. Creating man1perl58 and man3perl58 without
> altering man paths seems to work.

	How did you test that the man pages were found?  Did you check
that man found the right files and not, say, the system-installed
files?  Check 'ps' for what files are being picked up.

> Looking at /etc/manpaths it looks like man must parse this entire
> directory. I may be missing something.
> bash-3.2# cat /etc/manpaths
> /usr/share/man
> /usr/local/share/man

	Check /etc/man.conf for the MANSECT variable - this
defines the 'sections' man will use, that's the clue as
to what will really be picked up.

> >The ticket originally opened to deal with this problem is
> >http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12950
> >.
> >In it, I posted patches which will reorder @INC.
> >I also posted a patch for p5-test-simple to go along with it.
> >The module is installed with perl, but p5-test-simple is a newer
> >version.
> >It avoids manpage conflicts by renaming the manpages.
>
> I think the perl5.8 compile flags alone will fix the man path
> collisions. The @INC env var looks like a good solution and I favor
> using a /opt/local/etc/profile mechanism with /opt/local/etc/profile.d/
> perl5.8 and friends.
>
> I think a new port name "profile" could be created to make this easy
> or it could become part of macports. Then perl5.8 could add the /opt/
> local/etc/profile.d/perl5.8 file.

	What is the 'profile' idea?  Shell profile, and if
so what would be in it?

		-eric