Removal of port options i and x

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Thu Mar 12 22:54:28 PDT 2009

I'd like to see two options from port removed, -i and -x.

For -i, the man page says

   Read commands from stdin. Short for -F -

which means for handling commands from, eg, pipes.  However, not using -i
does that anyway as "echo info pkgconfig | port" works identically to "echo
info pkgconfig | port -i".  Using 'port -i' is also identical to just 'port'
as they both drop you into interactive mode.  The only difference I can see
is that -i allows you to specify commands on port's command line, then when
those are done, port drops to interactive mode instead of exiting.  If
there's no other use for it, is that a very necessary option?

As far as -x, that's on ticket #13918:

<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13918>

Basically we have two mutually exclusive options -x and -p, but without
specifying either port acts in some other, odd, almost in-between mode.  As
mentioned on that ticket, I'd much prefer to see port default to what -x
does, and simply keep -p for those who want port to continue past errors.

Any objections?

Bryan