Deprecating port list

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 13 01:42:50 PDT 2009

I have not used "port list" or "port echo" very often.

Now that I'm looking at them, I'm confused about echo's behavior.

I have zlib installed:

$ port installed zlib
   zlib @1.2.3_2+universal (active)

"port list zlib" shows the name, version and category:

$ port list zlib
zlib                           @1.2.3          archivers/zlib

"port echo zlib" shows the name only:

$ port echo zlib
zlib

But "port echo installed" shows the name and version, revision and
variants:

$ port echo installed | grep ^zlib
zlib                           @1.2.3_2+universal

Why does "echo" behave differently depending on whether zlib was
specified implicitly via the "installed" pseudo-port, or explicitly
on the command line?

I guess what's happening is that "installed" is expanding to not only
the names of the installed ports but also their version, revision and
variants, which I can even fake:

$ port echo zlib @1.0_0+foo+bar
zlib                           @1.0_0+bar+foo