Removal of port options i and x

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri Mar 13 08:10:55 PDT 2009

Hi Bryan,

On Mar 12, 2009, at 10:54 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> I'd like to see two options from port removed, -i and -x.
>
> For -i, the man page says
>
>   Read commands from stdin. Short for -F -
>
> which means for handling commands from, eg, pipes.  However, not
> using -i
> does that anyway as "echo info pkgconfig | port" works identically
> to "echo
> info pkgconfig | port -i".  Using 'port -i' is also identical to
> just 'port'
> as they both drop you into interactive mode.  The only difference I
> can see
> is that -i allows you to specify commands on port's command line,
> then when
> those are done, port drops to interactive mode instead of exiting.  If
> there's no other use for it, is that a very necessary option?

I wrote all that stuff, so I'll comment. I think later use was the
primary motivation for -i. When this was written there was not yet any
experience with interactive mode, piping of commands, etc. So it
wasn't clear to what degree we'd need control. I think time has shown
there to be little demand for the subtleties of this feature, so I'm
fine with removing -i, especially as one can reconstruct it using -F -

> As far as -x, that's on ticket #13918:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13918>
>
> Basically we have two mutually exclusive options -x and -p, but
> without
> specifying either port acts in some other, odd, almost in-between
> mode.  As
> mentioned on that ticket, I'd much prefer to see port default to
> what -x
> does, and simply keep -p for those who want port to continue past
> errors.
>
> Any objections?

Here, too, when port was largely rewritten to add support for having
commands work on multiple ports/pseudo-ports, there was a bit of a
change of behavior, so I put these extra flags in to control how it
might work.  I think defaulting to the -x behavior is fine.

James