Moving X11 install into their own subdirectory

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 13 23:41:46 PDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 20:27, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2009, at 17:37, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
>> I haven't followed closely the work on getting X11 into the
>> MacPorts, but I was installing some new ports today and the xorg-
>> libice port conflicts with an existing port, ice-cpp, on the
>> libIce.dylib.  Unfortunately, they have different capitalization,
>> ice-cpp has libIce.dylib and xorg-libice has libICE.dylib.
>>
>> Given precedence of an existing port and following the Linux
>> standard, it seems moving the xorg-* ports into $prefix/X11 or
>> $prefix/X11R6 would be a good thing to do.
>
> 1) Use a case sensitive FS.
>
> 2) The Linux "standard" is actually placing these libs in $
> {prefix}.  I don't think many distros keep around /usr/X11 anymore
> unless it's a symlink to /usr...
>
> As far as this problem goes... yes, it's a problem.  No, I don't
> have a better solution that (1) above.

The MacPorts project will not recommend users use a case-sensitive
file system on Mac OS X. :-) Doing so is known to cause problems with
other applications and is disruptive to the Macintosh user experience.

As the two of you already know, there is a ticket on this issue but
it doesn't say more than the above.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17997