Moving X11 install into their own subdirectory

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Mar 14 20:41:04 PDT 2009

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2009, at 14:15, Blair Zajac wrote:
>

> Further, moving all of X11 into a subdirectory would require changes to
> base, massive changes throughout the tree, or both.  It's not feasible.

Well, I think it's rude to tread on some another port without even an apology
and requiring work on my part to fix something imposed on me.  And you say that
this is infeasible.  What about the people who build apps against ice-cpp
library and the changes that this require them to their build systems?  You're
pushing all this work on me and the people that use ice-cpp.  MacPorts X11 isn't
a required feature, but a nice to have, since ports can use Apple's X11.

Additionally, it's hypocritical to say, it's OK for X11 to impact these other
ports, even when the X11 ports are new, and not give ice-cpp the same weight.

If somebody said, look, I'm sorry about this, we're going to do this in spite of
ice-cpp, how can I help, that would be great.  I realize that ZeroC gave a bad
name to their shared library, but that's out of my hands.  So now I need to
figure out the best solution to resolve this and take time I don't want to spend
on this issue.

> And if you want to play the "who was there first" game... X11R6 has been
> around since 1987.

True, but not in this distribution.

Blair