env_helper

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Tue Mar 17 09:01:04 PDT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2009, at 13:17, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> On 2009-03-15 23:25, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

[...]
>> mysql5 does not put the files into $prefix/bin because it conflicts
>> with
>> mysql4. If now both ports add the alternative dir to PATH this
>> lends to
>> confusion and breakage.
>
> mysql4 and mysql5 still conflict:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/4115
>
> And there is no need to put ${prefix}/lib/mysql5/bin into PATH
> because mysql5 installs symlinks into ${prefix}/bin with the same
> names, just with "5" appended.

True, but I wanted some examples of where it COULD have been used.
Mysql5 works fine.

>> By the way, can anybody think of other ports we did not talk about
>> yet
>> for which something like this could be useful? For example, I can
>> think
>> of bash-completion.
>
> Bradley mentioned p5 manpages in his first message, and I agree that
> would be useful. In the perl5.8 fixup thread I was thinking a way to
> solve the issue would be if the manpages could be put into different
> paths, if only MacPorts had a way of modifying the user's manpath.
> And with Bradley's script, now it does.
>

> Currently the MacPorts binary installer modifies the user's .profile
> to munge the PATH and if necessary the MANPATH. I would prefer if
> instead MacPorts simply added a single line to load a MacPorts bash
> script which did that munging. This script would be owned by
> MacPorts and could be updated when MacPorts is updated. So if we
> ever decide to change what we want to munge in the .profile we could
> change it in our script and not have to re-munge the user's .profile.
>
> Someone already wrote this script. It's in the repository. MacPorts
> base just doesn't use it.
>
> If we used such a script, then that's where this path/env helper
> functionality could be built in, rather than having the user add
> another line to their .profile.

Righto, and macports should setup the basics and then use some method
to traverse some lists that can be altered by a Portfile.
I like just dropping files with one or two lines into the right place
with a user override file parsed last.

//Brad