env_helper

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Tue Mar 17 09:15:42 PDT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:24 PM, Boyd Waters wrote:

> Very weird, I was working on path_helper yesterday!
>
> I like the "port env" idea.

If all it does is add the one line to your ~/.profile then I like that
as well.

> We need "rpath" and "lpath" -- to add to the beginning or end of a
> PATH

I would be happy with the simpler "free for all" approach I took.

Whose going to control this? What ports are going to say "Load my path
AFTER everyone elses so I'm found last if at all".

I don't think env_helper will be needed that much because most ports
already work well without altering env vars.

Something really really simple with user overrides is good enough for
me.

If some port does something unlikely like putting an httpd in front of
apache2's I could just add this to my paths/user or ~/.profile:
PATH=/opt/local/apache2/bin:$PATH

Path order issues would be very rare in my opinion.

//Brad