Is isysroot useful for non-universal?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 22 16:48:11 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 15:11, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> note that we'd need to use autoconf to check for the location of
> the SDK (if we don't already) since it doesn't have to be installed
> at /Developer/SDKs on 10.5.

I've ignored this problem so far. I would be surprised if MacPorts
would work if Xcode is installed in a different location. We should
probably document somewhere that you should install Xcode in its
standard location.

> Also, the last time I checked, with isysroot you only get the stuff
> in the SDK so while it would fix looking in /usr/local, it would
> also prevent looking in ${prefix} for headers and libraries, which
> we don't want. There may be a way to work-around that though.

We currently build universal ports using isysroot, so this can't be a
general problem, can it? Otherwise none of our universal ports would
compile at all.

There are some issues if you try to link with a library but don't use
the appropriate -l flag. This happens often when software uses the -l
flag for a library but doesn't include the -l flag for a library that
library depends on. This causes an error message like

can't open dynamic library: /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/opt/local/
lib/libsomething.dylib

on Tiger. See e.g.

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18035

This does not appear to be a problem on Leopard.