Is isysroot useful for non-universal?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 22 17:31:16 PDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 19:25, Toby Peterson wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:48, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 22, 2009, at 15:11, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>
>>> note that we'd need to use autoconf to check for the location of
>>> the SDK
>>> (if we don't already) since it doesn't have to be installed at
>>> /Developer/SDKs on 10.5.
>>
>> I've ignored this problem so far. I would be surprised if MacPorts
>> would
>> work if Xcode is installed in a different location. We should
>> probably
>> document somewhere that you should install Xcode in its standard
>> location.
>
> Ultimately the solution to this should be to simply stop building
> against an SDK.
>
> Nothing fundamentally wrong with building against an SDK, but it
> shouldn't be tied to universal building, nor should it be the default
> behavior.

It is necessary to build against an SDK in order to get a universal
build (on Tiger, anyway). And it is the way Apple says to do it. If
you can get Apple to change their recommendation, and compel me to
upgrade my Tiger systems to Leopard, we can talk about changing the
way MacPorts builds universal binaries.