CC, CXX et al in build, test and destroot phases

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 23 01:15:46 PDT 2009

Toby Peterson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:19, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> So I ask again: can you think of any reason why we should not set these
>> variables in the build, test and destroot phases? Can you think of any
>> problems it would cause?
>
> CC is probably safe, others not so much (e.g. CFLAGS might cause
> unexpected overrides). Still, I prefer to avoid special-casing as much
> as possible. If a few ports have to be a bit more explicit, I don't
> think that's the end of the world.

But Ryan has a valid point there. At least setting CC would make sense.
If a port does not have configure and just calls CC in the Makefile,
this could be different compilers if someone used gcc_select. The
original port author may not even have noticed that something like
build.env CC=${configure.cc} is necessary.

Rainer