Universal and binary builds (was: Re: Is isysroot useful for non-universal?)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 24 20:35:53 PDT 2009

On Mar 24, 2009, at 05:26, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> While cross-compiling and virtual build machines does have some
> entertaining value,
> you would probably be better off with one hardware node per OS/arch
> and a chroot ?

I'd like that.

> Assuming that you're even going to build PowerPC binaries, it
> shouldn't be so hard
> finding cheap used hardware for it. The new machines available only
> use Intel anyway.

If we want to support universal binaries -- and given the effort
that's been put in so far on our existing solutions, I'd say there is
some interest in this -- then I'd say we should build PowerPC
binaries too. It would surprise me if Apple didn't still have a few
G5 Xserves around that could be repurposed.