cpan2port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 27 05:12:59 PDT 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 06:22, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> For the moment, we have no to fund the cpan2port project and i
>> have no
>> free time to hack on it ... I have a ready to use macports account
>> and
>> and hope i'll use it asap.
>>
>> Waiting for this glorious moment, please feel free to do
>> everything you
>> find usefull for yourself and the communauty (very last version as
>> attachement).

How would you feel about (me) putting cpan2port into the MacPorts
repository in the contrib section? It would make it easier for others
to find, and it would enable other MacPorts developers to make
changes to it as needed. You would still be able to make changes as
well with your MacPorts handle. But it would be confusing if you also
kept it on your site. I don't want to fork your script; I just want
to make sure it's hosted in a reasonable place.

>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:16:01AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> #! /usr/bin/perl
>>>
>>> Why is it using Mac OS X perl and not MacPorts perl? Perhaps it
>>> could
>>> use "#! /usr/bin/env perl" so that it would use the perl that I
>>> prefer.
>>
>> i actually prepare the packages on my server that is a debian machine
>> because my mac is an old damn slow G4 under tiger.

I understand.

>> but you're right: this must be fixed.

It shouldn't cause any problem to change the #! line as I suggested,
right? It should just cause it to use the perl the user has indicated
he prefers, via his PATH variable, which should be a win for everyone.

>>> Third, I tried to run the script with no parameters, expecting a
>>> usage
>>> The script appears to want a module Module::Depends but I guess
>>> Mac OS X
>>> doesn't provide this. I don't want to use CPAN to install any
>>> modules in
>>> my Mac OS X perl; I want to use MacPorts to install perl modules
>>> for use
>>> with MacPorts perl. Then again, we don't seem to have a port
>>> p5-module-depends either. Can we add this and any other ports
>>> this script
>>> needs?
>>
>> I just generated the portfile (as attachement too). It's not tested:
>> feel free to feeback if it doesn't work (or if everthing else goes
>> wrong).

I'll try to take a look at it.

>>> Maybe I'm going about this wrong.
>>
>> No: *i* use it wrong ...
>>
>>> Clearly the author of the script got it to work,
>>
>> sure: i am the author and i generated everything required to
>> install the
>> koha ILS.
>>
>>> and I assume others have as well since it was announced. Should
>>> I be doing something different to use this script?
>>
>> I have only one testimonial of successfull use ... please be the
>> second
>> one ;)

I hope to be soon!