cpan2port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 28 02:58:41 PDT 2009

Marc Chantreux wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Third, I tried to run the script with no parameters, expecting a
>> usage
>> The script appears to want a module Module::Depends but I guess
>> Mac OS X
>> doesn't provide this. I don't want to use CPAN to install any
>> modules in
>> my Mac OS X perl; I want to use MacPorts to install perl modules
>> for use
>> with MacPorts perl. Then again, we don't seem to have a port
>> p5-module-depends either. Can we add this and any other ports this
>> script
>> needs?
>
> I just generated the portfile (as attachement too). It's not tested:
> feel free to feeback if it doesn't work (or if everthing else goes
> wrong).

Thanks. It builds, so I added it to the ports tree.

> I have only one testimonial of successfull use ... please be the
> second
> one ;)

Well, let's see. :)

I'm trying to make a port for Mac::InternetConfig (#18953). If I run
cpan2port with no arguments I get a manual which tells me "cpan2port
uses at least one flag and a list of module names". It gives the
example "cpan2port ‐r Net::LDAP Test::Harness". But I get:

$ cpan2port -r Mac::InternetConfig
Unknown option: r
Died at cpan2port line 270
$

(Line 270: "getopts('vtf:',\%opt) or die;")

Further down in the manual, in the section "Flags tell to cpan2port
what to do", it describes the flags "v", "t" and "f", but not the "r"
from the examples.

Was -r renamed to -t at some point and the examples weren't updated?
I tried -t instead:

$ cpan2port -t Mac::InternetConfig
Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no] ^C
$

But I cancelled it because I did not expect and did not know the
answer to the question it posed. The text of the question does not
appear in cpan2port. Where is the question coming from? I think it's
coming from CPAN's setup script. Is there a way to use cpan2port
without having to deal with CPAN's interrogation?