Comment spam in Trac

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Sat Mar 28 21:25:54 PDT 2009

On Mar 28, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2009, at 13:06, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> I've cleaned it up for now.
>
> Thanks. Could you also kill:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/7720#comment:10

Done... There is a plugin which would help admins manage tickets/
comments, but last I checked it was broken on the latest version of
Trac. I'll see how broken it is when I work on the spam plugin and see
if I can get them all working at the same time.

>> I will be installing a spam plugin for Trac next week.
>
> It's sad that this kind of thing is necessary. :(
>
> What will the plugin do? Will it change how users interact with Trac
> -- Captcha or anything?

I will not be adding a captcha. The (still experimental) plugin is
described at:

http://www.cmlenz.net/archives/2006/11/managing-trac-spam

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SpamFilter

The plugin is a work in progress, but it is used on edgewall.org with
success, so it is the best option we have right now IMO.  You can see
in the screen shots that it will moderate comments and provide an
interface for admins (both Apple and MacPorts managers) to deal with
them.

-Bill