ruby_select experimental implementation

C. Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Sun May 10 07:34:58 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM, C. Florian Ebeling
<florian.ebeling at gmail.com> wrote:
> - errors when no ruby whatsoever is installed. If a versin is not install
>  but then selected, then user doesn't get a warning nor an
>  error. This behaviour comes from select-0.2.1, I'm aware, but it's
>  still a bit unintuitive.

One other thing I noticed is that ruby_select does not
declare any dependency on any ruby, which surprised me
a bit. But python does not require any python either.
There is probably some reasoning behind this. I would
like to learn more about the this.

These two behaviours together, though, leave users in the
situation where they install ruby_select, then issue

  sudo ruby_select ruby186

which does not complain, but there won't be a usable ruby
afterwards, only a couple of symlinks pointing into the nowhere.

At least I was surprised at first about this, and others
may be as well.

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling