Mac Science Collaboration group

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Tue May 12 12:26:40 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM, James Kyle <jameskyle at ucla.edu> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I'm new to the the macports dev list, but I've been actively maintaining a
> chunk of ports for about a year now and patching for longer (commit request
> pending).
>
> I'd like to propose a new collaboration group called Mac Science that
> would, in spirit, be very similar to the Debian Science initiative.
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience
>
> My incentive for this proposal is due to three observations I've made as
> mac desktop user and researcher. I also have a moderate level of confidence
> that I could enlist some level of direct apple support or collaboration in
> the project.
>
> I welcome any and all feedback in the matter, both positive and negative.
> :)
>

> I'll outline my incentives for the proposal below.
>
> Issue:
> "Holes" in the science library. This isn't necessarily a macports issue.
> Currently, there is no one-stop answer to a curious researcher on where to
> go for his science apps. MacPorts provides some but not by any means all of
> the usual suspects for computational work. Especially some of the more
> specialized libraries.

In considering how to introduce scientists to macports, this GUI is very
helpful:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/porticus.html

This GUI provides a nice interface for those users who are not familiar with
the terminal.  The ports are listed by category, including a science
category.  It's not clear to me how the categories are defined (they could
be based on the port tree categories or on each Portfile entry for
"categories").

Regards, Darren