[50905] trunk/dports/science

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Tue May 12 21:39:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 23:09, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

Ryan

>> +depends_run   port:python25 \
>> +              port:python_select \
>> +              port:py25-numpy \
>> +              port:py25-pyrxp \
>> +              port:py25-socket-ssl \
>> +              port:py25-m2crypto \
>> +              port:pkgconfig \
>
> This port doesn't appear to make any use of pkgconfig so I would delete this
> dependency.
>
> If you think you must keep it, then it should be a build dependency and not
> a runtime dependency.
>

>> +              port:fftw-3 \
>> +              port:fftw-3-single \
>> +              port:libframe \
>> +              port:metaio \
>> +              port:libxml2 \
>> +              port:cfitsio \
>> +              port:git-core \
>> +              port:autoconf \
>> +              port:automake
>
> autoconf and automake are also likely to be build dependencies only, and not
> of this port, so I would remove these here as well.
>
> Or maybe I don't understand the purpose of this port...

I work in the LIGO Scientific Collaboration and the idea of this port
is so that scientists can just install one port which installs all the
dependencies required for developing the analysis software we use.
Essentially its so that I can write in the instructions install the
lscsoft-deps port instead of listing all the different ports that our
software needs.

The scientists need to check out the latest version of the software
from the git repository and therefore need autoconf and automake to
generate the build system, and our software uses pkg-config in order
to find the libraries it uses. I therefore added these as run
dependencies so that if the scientists tired to remove them port would
produce a warning saying that they were a required dependency, which
would not happen if these were set to build dependencies. This port is
just an effort to make my life easier, if you can think of a better
way to achieve this then I'd be grateful.

>> +fetch {}
>> +checksum {}
>
> You shouldn't override the fetch or checksum phases. Instead, set distfiles
> to the empty string (write "distfiles" by itself on a line of the portfile).

Thanks, I've updated it to do this in r50930.

Cheers

Adam