[50905] trunk/dports/science

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Wed May 13 05:29:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 23:47, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Ok, so this is for installing the dependencies of software for which there
> are no ports?
>
> Do you think there will some day be ports for that software, or is there a
> reason why that wouldn't work? (closed source, ...)

Released versions of the software in question is already available in
MacPorts (science/glue, science/lal, and science/lalapps) however at
the moment the code is under very active development and the released
versions can't really be used for anything its just too old. Things
are starting to settle down and we are hoping that released versions
will be good enough for most people in the not too distant future.

In the meantime everyone needs to run out of the git repository and
adding this "lscsoft-deps" port seemed the easiest way to get all the
necessary dependencies onto scientists machines. I did think of saying
to install the release versions and then removing them, leaving the
dependencies behind, but then people would most likely forget to
remove them and then have environment issues when the older libraries
would be picked up.

Cheers

Adam