can't read "configure.universal_ldflags": no such variable

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 13 21:11:15 PDT 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 22:49, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2009-5-14 13:35, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Apr 21, 2009, at 08:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> As you can see, the universal_ldflags will always end up
>> containing the
>> arch flags. On PowerPC, an additional part is appended. On Leopard, a
>> different additional part is appended. The extra Leopard part has
>> already been removed from trunk
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/46451
>>
>> so I think users of trunk would also experience the issue on
>> Leopard, if
>> they are not on PowerPC.
> [snip]
>>
>> On non-PowerPC non-Leopard, this will end up with universal_ldflags
>> becoming empty, which will cause it to be unset entirely.
>> Therefore an
>> error occurs when we then try to append the now-nonexistent
>> universal_ldflags to configure.ldflags below:
>
> Actually, the option-delete behaviour didn't make much sense, so it
> was
> changed: <http://trac.macports.org/changeset/44901>

Ok, that's good. I wasn't sure if there was a reason for that
behavior. I guess, if there was, it wasn't important anymore.

This still means that no Intel Tiger users can build universal
versions of ports that use the muniversal portgroup until MacPorts
1.8.0 is released, unless this issue is fixed in some other way in
the muniversal portgroup.

Or we could release 1.8.0 soon, or we could backport this fix to the
1.7 branch and release a 1.7.2 soon...