Mac Science Collaboration group

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon May 18 13:43:44 PDT 2009

On 2009-05-14 18:30, James Kyle wrote:
>> I would really appreciate such efforts. For example, we already have
>> groups of developers working on KDE or Ruby related ports.
>> Developers in
>> these groups would just need to figure out a good way of coordinating
>> their work using branches, tickets and wiki pages.
>
> What would be the next step towards making this a reality for macports?

One step was to approve your request for commit access, for which you
should have gotten a separate mail. :-)

I think it is important to find a way of working which would work best
for the involved developers. For example, you could open your own branch
of the ports tree where updates to science ports are being prepared and
tested and later merged back into the main ports tree.

Your next steps really depend how you want to work, or rather you have
to find a workflow which works for you and other contributors. I would
recommend to start with a wiki page and document your goals and how you
want to achieve them. Gather other developers to join your efforts and
then discuss with them.

So, everyone interested into science related software being available as
ports should get in contact with James now!

Rainer