Panther tickets

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 20 19:22:51 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 20:59, MacPorts wrote:

> #10989: BUG: gcc41 build failure on Mac OS X 10.3.9
> -----------------------------------
> +----------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  roland@…              |       Owner:  mww@…
>       Type:  defect                |      Status:  closed
>  Component:  ports                 |     Version:  1.3.2
> Resolution:  wontfix               |    Keywords:  gcc41 libstc++
> nm odnm Panther
>       Port:                        |
> -----------------------------------
> +----------------------------------------
> Changes (by toby@…):
>
>   * status:  reopened => closed
>   * resolution:  => wontfix
>

> Comment:
>
>  Closing again. We don't support Panther, and there obviously isn't
>  anything being done about this bug. Given that we have about 1500
> more
>  open tickets than we can deal with, I believe this a reasonable
> course of
>  action.

This is the second time you've closed this ticket for the sole reason
that the problem occurs only on Panther. I previously reopened this
ticket explaining that's not a good reason for closing. You've closed
other tickets for the same reason. Up to now, we have not had a
policy of closing tickets for the sole reason that they are Panther-
specific. While we do not officially support Panther, the policy thus
far has been that we would still accept patches to fix things for
Panther. I find it useful to have bug reports filed for issues, even
if a fix is not immediately known, that way interested parties can
see the report and Cc themselves and offer input. The number of open
tickets in the database has no bearing on this. If you would like
MacPorts to adopt a policy of declining to fix Panther issues and
immediately closing Panther tickets, let's discuss that proposal here.

My feeling was that getting the gcc4 ports working again on Panther
was of particular importance, since otherwise no software that
requires gcc 4.x can be compiled on Panther, since Panther's Xcode
1.5 only includes gcc 3.3. That is why I filed some gcc tickets and
added comments to others.