Panther tickets

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Wed May 20 20:43:56 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 7:22 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> This is the second time you've closed this ticket for the sole
> reason that the problem occurs only on Panther. I previously
> reopened this ticket explaining that's not a good reason for
> closing. You've closed other tickets for the same reason. Up to now,
> we have not had a policy of closing tickets for the sole reason that
> they are Panther-specific. While we do not officially support
> Panther, the policy thus far has been that we would still accept
> patches to fix things for Panther. I find it useful to have bug
> reports filed for issues, even if a fix is not immediately known,
> that way interested parties can see the report and Cc themselves and
> offer input. The number of open tickets in the database has no
> bearing on this. If you would like MacPorts to adopt a policy of
> declining to fix Panther issues and immediately closing Panther
> tickets, let's discuss that proposal here.

OK, so, let's discuss it.  I'll start:  I think continuing to support
Panther, even by inference or continued acceptance of patches to
support it, is a really bad idea and here are some (though by no means
all) of the reasons why it's a bad idea:

1. Every #ifdef or Panther-only work around adds to the overall
support burden of MacPorts.  Some day, assuming MacPorts lives long
enough to have such problems, most of the current set of people will
be retired / MIA / dead and it will fall to a new crop of engineers to
support the aging ball of goop collectively known as MacPorts.  For
each and every line of legacy support code, the justification(s) for
which will have long since vanished into the fog of history, the
burdens on these people will only be increased.  Think of your
successors ("think of the children!") even if it's a burden you,
personally are willing to shoulder today.

2. The marketing figures are not generally available, nor can I make
such figures generally available, so you're just going to have to take
my word for it that the overall percentage of Apple customers still
running Panther is small.  It might be a user base which is
occasionally loud, in certain specific cases, but that still does not
make it large or even noteworthy.  "The needs of the many outweigh the
needs of the few", to quote Spock (and what argument isn't instantly
won by quoting Spock, I ask you? :-).  If you're not someone who goes
in for Spock, then simply substitute the law of diminishing returns.

3. At the risk of stating the obvious, you are an open source project
that provides its labor for free.  Given that fact, there will also
always be users / companies / evil foreign governments who are more
than willing to ask for, nay demand, the moon and the stars because
there are these silly people giving celestial objects away for free,
or so they heard anyway, and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR US LATELY?  In
such an environment, it has also been shown that the decibel level of
ambient whining can be significantly decreased once the project
demonstrates some ability to set and enforce the boundaries of "just
what we're willing to do", drawing various lines in the sand when
appropriate.  An n-release support policy, where n is some mutually
agreeable constant (my favorite is "2"), is also one such useful line
in the sand to draw.

- Jordan