Panther tickets

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu May 21 08:40:25 PDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 7:39 AM, David Osguthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 03:43:19AM -0600, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
>>

>> You should also drop bugfixing for anything not macosx (linux, bsd,
>> puredarwin). Jordan's plan would mean you can remove a lot of code
>> from
>> base: why are there different gcc default, different x11prefix? Why
>> should you care that some people use powerpc architectures, their
>> machines should already be dead (mine is) so only supporting the next
>> macosx release should be okay.
>>

> I really get concerned when I see statements like this - so much
> that I start
> thinking maybe forking macports to eg. linuxports is needed - or
> maybe back
> to darwinports

<snip>

This concerns me as well. Emmanuel, we should care because if you keep
dividing up the user base like that we end up supporting less and
less. Go ahead and make the same decision but do so while caring about
others.

I just recently retired my G3 mail server (12+ years) replacing it
with a dual G5 powerpc not because it died but because the software I
was using no longer met my needs.

I plan on keeping G5 machines around for another 10 years or so. G5's
are masterfully constructed and should not add to landfills for some
time to come.

I'm not voting for or against Panther. I do vote to support platforms
and systems as long as is economically viable.

//Brad