Gettext only at build time

David Evans devans at macports.org
Thu May 21 09:55:32 PDT 2009

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 21, 2009, at 02:26, devans at macports.org wrote:
>
>> +depends_build       port:pkgconfig \
>> +                    port:intltool \
>> +                    port:gettext \
>> +                    port:p5-xml-parser \
>> +                    port:gtk-doc
>
> I've seen other ports list gettext as a build dependency, but I've
> always wondered what kind of software would want to use gettext at
> build time but not at runtime? How does that work? It is a
> localization system, and the way it's usually used is to compile text
> message catalogs into a binary form at build time, and to link with
> the libintl library, and at runtime to use libintl to load those
> message catalogs and pull translations out of them.

You're right, of course, Ryan.  Feel free to remove the build dependency
on gettext anywhere you see  it in the gnome ports I've been
updating.  At the same time, it doesn't need to be added to depends_lib
for these ports (or any gtk2 app) because it is a library dependency
of gtk2.

Thanks for calling me on this.  A second pair of eyes is always useful.

Dave