[50797] trunk/dports/gnome/gnome-platform-suite/Portfile

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat May 23 09:39:26 PDT 2009

On 2009-05-23 09:08, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 21, 2009, at 12:29, David Evans wrote:
>> Also I'm not sure why you made it a path dependency.  Should this
>> be done globally?
>
> I am getting tired of having to monitor ports' dependencies for
> things like "port:pango" and "port:cairo" and "port:glib2" and
> "port:graphviz" and any other port:-style dependency on something for
> which a -devel version exists, and then change it to a path
> dependency. :) I'm trying to get in the habit of using a path:-style
> dependency always, even if a -devel version does not currently exist,
> because maybe tomorrow someone will want to create a -devel version.
> We may want to make path:-style dependencies the recommended way to
> specify dependencies.

We need some 'provides' keyword which would allow multiple ports to
provide the same thing. This would be used in -devel ports to indicate
they are providing the same thing. Also, it should not be possible to
install two ports providing the same thing so it would be some kind of
conflict indicator.

But for now, using path:-style is the only option we have.

Rainer